Ringing in the ears, or tinnitus, affects thousands of people, transforming their everyday lives. There is no cure for tinnitus; however, there are treatments that our ENT specialists provide that can significantly relieve symptoms. ENT doctors in Abu Dhabi can help you deal with tinnitus.
What is Tinnitus?
Ringing in the ears is called tinnitus. Tinnitus is usually caused by an underlying condition, such as age-related hearing loss, an ear injury, or a problem with the circulatory system. For many people, tinnitus improves with treatment of the underlying cause or with other treatments that reduce or mask the noise, making tinnitus less noticeable.
Tinnitus happens when we consciously hear a sound that does not come from any source outside the body. It is not a disease but a symptom of an underlying problem.
Causes of Tinnitus
Many believe that tinnitus is a disease. It’s also associated with hearing loss. It’s a sign that there is an underlying health problem.
Following are some of the more common conditions that can contribute to tinnitus:
- Hearing loss: This is the most common cause of tinnitus. Either a single intense event or long-term noise exposure such as factory or construction work can damage hearing.
- Wax build-up: Everyone produces a different amount of earwax. Hearing can be compromised when a significant amount of earwax becomes built up in the ear canal, and tinnitus may seem louder.
- Certain medications: Some medicines are toxic to the ears and can produce tinnitus as a side effect.
- Sinus pressure: Many people, including children, experience tinnitus and an ear or sinus infection.
- Cardiovascular disease: This can indicate the presence of a vascular condition where the blood flow through the veins and arteries is compromised – like a heart murmur, hypertension, or hardening of the arteries.
- Certain types of tumors: These tumors can cause tinnitus, deafness, facial paralysis, and loss of balance.
- Neck or Head injury: Physical injury to the head and neck can induce tinnitus.
- Certain disorders: Hypo or hyperthyroidism, Lyme disease, fibromyalgia, and thoracic outlet syndrome can have tinnitus as a symptom
What is used to treat tinnitus?
- Noise reduction - It may be helpful to use a white noise machine. Fans, humidifiers, air conditioners, and anything else that makes an unobtrusive, relaxing sound helps hide internal noise.
- Hearing aid - Hearing loss is one of the leading causes of tinnitus, so hearing aids can solve hearing problems and help treat tinnitus.
- Masking devices - These are similar to hearing aids. Wear a soft, low-level white noise on your ears that helps counter ringing, humming, or other noise caused by tinnitus.
Is it ringing in the Ears? We Can Help - Medical center in Abu Dhabi
At Adam and Eve Specialized Medical Center in Abu Dhabi, our ENT specialists ensure that you get the care you need. Not only have they helped patients overcome and cope with the frustration and anxiety of tinnitus, but they have treated countless other conditions, including tumors of the head and neck. Please visit our best ENT doctor in Abu Dhabi for more information or schedule an appointment.